eInspire 1: Why talk to people about Jesus?
What motivates you to talk to people about Jesus? How would you answer this question? Take a few moments to jot down your thoughts before reading on.
Now that you’ve made your list, here are a few insights to ponder:
- Jesus saves us from sin, spiritual death and destruction. We should happily invite others to meet and trust Him so that they too would be saved. See Ephesians 2:1-5.
- We have entered into an amazing, eternal, love relationship with the living God and into His eternal family. Let’s invite others to join the family. Our Father is more than happy to adopt them. There is no lack of space in His kingdom. See John 1:12, Romans 8:14-16, 1 John 3:1-3.
- Our heavenly Father pours out His love into our hearts that we might love Him in return and love others. His love moves us to tell others about Him and His love. See 2 Corinthians 5:14-15.
- Jesus lives in us through the Holy Spirit, who empowers us to be His witnesses. “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8 “God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and self-control. So do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord…” 2 Timothy 1:7-8a
- Christ commands us to be His witnesses and sends us out as His ambassadors. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations (ethnos).” Matthew 28:19
Obedience should be enough to motivate us; but obviously we have many reasons to talk with people about the Lover of our souls, our wonderful Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Please note however that God does not ask us to “convince” people to trust in Christ. That is the work of the Holy Spirit. We simply talk about Christ and His good news in the power of the Holy Spirit and leave the results to God.
What inspires you to talk to others about Jesus?
Unless otherwise noted all scripture is taken from the New International Version, ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.